This magnificent set of silver drums are inscribed with the Crest and Battle Honours of the Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment. The full set consists of 8 side drums, two tenor drums and a base drum. Only four of the side drums are depicted in these photos. Within the crest is the Regiment's motto "Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt" or "Where Right and Glory Lead".
Rope tensioned side drum of the Buffs (East Kent Regiment) later The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment). From 1700 the drum was made of wood, usually ash and shows the Royal monogram, the Buffs dragon, the name and number of the regiment and battle honours. Drums did not change to metal until the beginning of the 1900s.
This is a drum of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment. The accompanying plaque reads: "Immediately prior to 1908 the 2nd Battalion drums were orange. The particular orange drum now carried by the 1st Battalion was taken to South Africa in 1900 by the detachment from the 2nd Battalion which was attached to the 1st Battalion during the South African War. It got back to the 2nd Battalion and was carried by Sergeant Crane throughout the First World War.