This is a hand painted colour of the 7th (Service) Battalion of The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey). War Raised Units were just that so as soon as possible after the cessation of hostilities these units were disbanded. This particular Colour was returned to Stoughton Barracks on 13th June 1919 to be laid up along with similar colours in Holy Trinity Church Guildford before being transferred to the museum.
These two Colour Belts are worn by the Ensigns who carry The Queen’s Colour and The Regimental Colour on parade. They depict the detail of the Battle Honours which the Regiment has been awarded which are emblazoned on the respective Colour.
The Regiment’s links with Denmark are exceedingly strong, both historically and in the present, with HM Queen Margrethe II our incumbent Colonel-in-Chief. These links began as far back as 1689, with the appointment of Prince George of Denmark as Colonel of The Buffs. There was then a lapse of almost 200 years, but on the 9th of November 1906, the announcement was made of the appointment as Colonel-in-Chief of The Buffs of His Majesty King Frederick VIII of Denmark, KG, GCB, GCVO.
A highly decorative embroidery, depicting the Regimental Badge of The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment. These are traditionally placed on the front of the music stands of each of the instruments played when the Band is giving a seated concert, such as in a Band Stand or when a small group such as a quartet is playing at a small function.
In Military organisations the word ‘Colour’ is used to describe the regimental flags of infantry battalions.
This banner was produced and purchased by the Warrant Officers' and Sergeants' Mess members of the PWRR from a UK based embroidery company to be used as a welcome banner for visitors to see when they arrived in the Mess