Search Again
artefact

This beautiful centrepiece originates from the 70th Foot, a forebear regiment of The East Surrey Regiment. It depicts an Arab on horseback with his native retainer loading a crouched camel. Titled "A Halt in the Desert" it was originally made as prize for the Goodwood Cup Race and was presented to the Regiment by Brigadier GRP Roupell VC CB DL.

artefact

The painting is by Fred Row, RI, who completed numerous war pictures and paintings. This picture depicts an episode during the Defence of Hill 60, South of Ypres on the Western Front, over the period 19-21 April 1915. It portrays one of the many German assaults that took place on the late afternoon of 20 April, and the view is taken from the high ground about 200 yards south of the Hill.

artefact

This picture shows the dining room of the Officers' Mess. used for both formal and routine dining by the Officers of the Battalion, it is dominated by the campaign table, which is believed to be more than 200 years old. Campaign furniture was used by officers and their staffs during military campaigns, and were most often hand crafted by master cabinet makers. They would have strong but removable fittings, making it easy to break up the tables for transportation as battles and campaigns progressed. The table is flanked by portraits and silver belonging to the Regiment's forebears.

artefact

Displayed in the Public Rooms of the 2nd Battalion the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment this painting portrays the storming of Gold Beach by the lead elements of the 1 Hampshire Battle Group as part of 231 Division. 

story

On the 18th November the Battalion held is sports dinner at the Warrant Officers' and Sergeants' Mess.

The dinner was organised in recognition of the achievements of those who have contributed to sporting life within the battalion. In attendance was the Chief of Staff of British Forces Cyprus, Brigadier Nick Orr, who congratulated the battalion on a great sporting year, and what a year it's been!

artefact

This helmet was worn by other Ranks of the 4th Volunteer Battalion who were based in Lambeth and Southwark and descended from the 19th Surrey Rifle Volunteers and would become 24th Battalion of the London Regiment in 1908 before returning to the Queen’s Royal Regiment in 1937 to become it’s 7th Territorial Army Battalion. Sadly this helmet was destroyed in the Clandon House fire of April 2015.

artefact

57th (West Middlesex) Regiment of Foot {later to become The Duke of Cambridgeshire's Own (Middlesex Regiment)} - c 1879 brass Glengarry badge, consists of a “57” surrounded by laurel leaves with a “crown” on top and a scroll at the bottom inscribed “Albuhera”.

story

The Regimental Quick March is ‘The Farmer’s Boy’ (From The Royal Hampshire Regiment) leading into ‘Soldiers of The Queen’ (From The Queen’s Regiment).

The Regimental Slow March is ‘The Minden Rose’ (From The Royal Hampshire Regiment).

The main forebear regimental marches, which are often played on regimental occasions are as follows:

The Queen’s Regiment
Quick: ‘Soldiers of The Queen’.
Slow: ‘The Caledonian’.

The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment
Quick: ‘Braganza’/‘Lass O’Gowrie’; ‘Old Queens’ (Only played in the Officers Mess and never on Parade);

artefact

This is a hand painted colour of the 7th (Service) Battalion of The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey). War Raised Units were just that so as soon as possible after the cessation of hostilities these units were disbanded. This particular Colour was returned to Stoughton Barracks on 13th June 1919 to be laid up along with similar colours in Holy Trinity Church Guildford before being transferred to the museum.

artefact

The Adjutant's Cane dates from the amalgamation of The Queen's Regiment and the Royal Hampshire Regiment on 9 September 1992. It was presented to the Officers' Mess by Captain MR Hanscomb who was the initial Adjutant of the 1st Battalion; he served in the role from 9 September 1992 until 25 June 1993. The cane itself is 70cm in length, with a silver knob acting as the hilt of the shaft, it is indented and engraved with the regimental capbadge. The end is silver capped with a length of the cane being blackened wood.